1 November, 2019
Your Program Sucks: Part 1
…because your technique sucks
”“Hey Bas, what’s the best rep range to build muscle mass?"
“What’s the best rep range to get strong?”
- There is nothing special about 5 reps over 6 or 4 and 10 is not better than 11
- Lifting more than 5 reps in a set is not cardio (you’re just unfit)
- Your muscles don’t need to be “shocked” into growth (funnily enough, our bodies are smarter than we are)
- Lifting less than 5 reps can actually build muscle (and quite effectively I might add)
- You did not invent “Powerbuilding”
”If your lifting technique sucks, your program sucks. Yes, even if it’s written by me.
Day 1: Squat
A - Squat 5x5 (variation of your choice)
B - Enter your favourite quad building exercises as well as your favourite rep set scheme
Day 2: Upper Body Horizontal Push Pull
A - Upper Body Horizontal Push 5x5 | Pull 5x5
B - Enter your favourite chest and back building exercises as well as your favourite rep set scheme
Day 3: Deadlift
A - Deadlift 5x5 (conventional, because sumo is for cheaters and butt eaters*)
B - Enter your favourite posterior chain building exercises as well as your favourite rep set scheme
Day 4: Upper Body Vertical Push Pull
A - Overhead Press 5x5 | Chin Up 5x5
B - Enter your favourite deltoid and back building exercises as well as your favourite rep set scheme
Join the discussion 4 Comments
Hey mate, I really enjoy learning from you, as I can clearly see your intentions and the way you approach your clients. I am a shift worker with a young family. So training is often after dogwatch or late at night and find it hard to train some days. But I always try and do little things I’ve learned from you to improve my lifts. And for that I thank you
You actually explained that adequately!
I really liked your article post. Awesome.
Thanks for the article.Much thanks again. Cool.